Congrats on your goal. You can absolutely do it!
I would start off very simple -
1. Keep a food diary each day so you know what's going in and out. Research shows the most successful weight loss happens when you're more aware of quantity and quality of the food going in.
2. Pick one thing you think will make the most difference to your weight loss goal and start on it right away - e.g. eating 5+ veges a day, eating a lean protein with every meal, cutting out sugar etc.
3. Aim to change 1 habit every week and add a new 1 each week - don't try and change everything all at once.
4. Decide on how many minutes per week you can exercise and keep a log of it. I recommend you do some movement every day - it doesn't need to be hard out strenuous, it's about building the habit and your body awareness (as in, you're more likely to make good food choices when you've just been for a big walk and don't want to ruin all your effort!)
5. Keep accountable to someone / something / lots of things! Forums like these ones are great. Ask for support and help - we all need it!
Remember that it will get easier over time so don't get discouraged if you don't get an instant change - you have a long journey ahead, but it's absolutely achievable one step at a time and the best time to start is now.
All the best and if I can help specifically in any way, please let me know.
You can do it!
post edited by katmillar - 2012/01/14 10:41:38