Newbie Nutrition!! I've tried to read all I can, so please review and give your input! :-)
I've been working out a 3 weeks now, and I feel I'm ready to start trying to tackle my diet as I'm aware that getting this right is key and need some hep/advice.
I am 29, weigh approx 85kg/185lbs, with 23% bf and am 5ft 10 inches tall. I don't know my body well enough to know how it will react yet so will see what happens over 6 months on a bulking diet and adjust accordingly with time.
The thing is, nutrition does seem a bit of a dark art to me as a newcomer! I've been reading through some of the nutrition forum, and the nutrition section of the articles page, and managed to gleam the following 'basic' rules for a newbie like myself...
- 'Graze' i.e. eat every few hours, not 3 times per day
- 1.5g-2g protein, per lb bodyweight each day. (185*1.5 = 278g, 185*2=370) Therefore: 278-370g protein
- Most actual 'meals' should have the loose ratio of 40/40/20 for Protein/Carbs/Fat if pos
- Fat is not the enemy, in fact it is important and I should focus on the types of fats (and carbs for that matter) I consume
- Get fish in where pos
I work in an office 3 days per week, doing a sedentary job, and drive for 60 minutes either side to work so am out of home 11 hours a day. The other 2 days per week I work from home. I am trying to fit my nutritional routine around this, and am trying to make full use of my slow cooker, and also making JSS Smoothies + home made protein bars. An example daily diet may look as below...
The parts of the meal which will differ day to day are the fruits, frozen home made main meal, and the evening meal to add variety. I will be trying to be disciplined enough to be adding everything I eat to the android program "Fat Secret". I wanted to use Daily Burn, but they don't seem to have an android app frustratingly. Questions:
- The obvious - what am I doing wrong? or what am I missing? what general input can you give based on the above?
- I couldn't find anywhere an idea of how many calories I should be eating as a bulking diet!! I know it should be lots using the logic of input > output, but does 3,500 - 4,000 sound ok for someone like me?
- I read talk of people eating different things at different times, e.g. Carbs being best first thing in the morning, and after workouts? Can anyone briefly explain the basics of this to me? Should I be eating carbs or fats at certain times? or avoiding them at certain times?
- PWO shake - Amount of Protein/Maltodextrin look right? Should I take this every night, or only on workout nights?
- Is there any reason I shouldn't take the creatine in my PWO shake at all with my maltodextrin in the evening?
- Why doesn't everyone own a slow cooker? They're frickin awesome...
Thanks in advance guys!!
post edited by luckyluke699 - 2011/03/18 23:35:57