Newbie diet post (inc pics) - please take a look and respond. Lots of questions!!
Firstly this is a bit of a re-post, after my post in the newbie forum sadly only got 1 response (good response though I should add) and I'm keen to get a little more feedback, so here goes..
I've just started week 5 of Cashman's beginner split routine, and would like to start thinking about my diet now. I am 29, weigh approx 85kg/185lbs, around 20% bf (I think) and am 5ft 10 inches tall. Pics taken from before I started are available at: http://www.muscletalk.co....mp;apage=1&asort=1
The thing is, nutrition does seem a bit of a dark art to me as a newcomer! I've been reading through some of the nutrition forum, and the nutrition section of the articles page, and managed to gleam the following 'basic' rules for a newbie like myself...
- 'Graze' i.e. eat every few hours, not 3 times per day
- 1.5g-2g protein, per lb bodyweight each day. (185*1.5 = 278g, 185*2=370) Therefore: 222-370g protein
- Most actual 'meals' should have the loose ratio of 40/40/20 for Protein/Carbs/Fat if pos
- Fat is not the enemy, in fact it is important and I should focus on the types of fats (and carbs for that matter) I consume
- Get fish in where pos
I work in an office, doing a sedentary job, and drive for 60 minutes either side to work so am out of home 11 hours a day. Below is a pic of what I have drawn up as a 'guideline' or start for what I think my daily diet might look like...
My post workout shake, currently consists of 3 scoops whey, 2 scoops of maltodextrin + 5 grams approx of creating. This is taken pwo and straight before I go to bed. My Questions:
1) The obvious - general input about what am I doing wrong? or what have I missed the point on? what general input can you give based on the above?
2) I couldn't find anywhere an idea of how many calories and how much carbs I should be eating as a newbie! Should I be aiming for 3,000 or 4,000 cals etc? I know it's indivudal, but I need a starting point. I picked 4,000 but the only response in the newbie thread suggested this might be too many cals?
3) Grams protein per lb bodyweight - is this "total" bodyweight, or just lean muscle (i.e. I am 185 lbs @ 20% bf) so is the 1.5g x 185lbs? OR 1.5g x (185*80%)lbs?
4) I read talk of people eating different things at different times, e.g. Carbs being best first thing in the morning, and after workouts? Can anyone briefly explain the basics of this to me? Should I be eating carbs or fats at certain times? or avoiding them at certain times?
5) PWO shake - Amount of Protein/Maltodextrin look right? Should I take this every night, or only on workout nights?
6) Is there any reason I shouldn't take the creatine in my PWO shake at all with my maltodextrin in the evening just before bed time? I train last thing at night, then take my shake, shower and hit the hay. It seems to fit into my lifestyle well!
7) Have I got the gist of this diet larkey right or does it look like there are things I simply haven't got my head around yet?Am I including the right? or wrong things on my diet? I'd rather be told and learn, than diet incorrectly!
Just 1 last thing, before responding, please bear in mind that I am a newbie who doesn't think I understand the nutritionalal side of things yet, so I'd be grateful for responses to include examples etc to help me grasp things better.
Many thanks in advance guys!! :D
post edited by luckyluke699 - 2011/03/29 17:16:08