So You Want to be a Natural Bodybuilder
About two or three times a month someone comes in my office at the gym and tells me that he wants to become a bodybuilder and asks me what to do. So many people have come in with this question over the years that I have a poster behind me on the wall with this advice.
These guidelines and all my advice applies only to NATURAL bodybuilders, not steroid users.
SO YOU WANT TO BE A NATURAL BODYBUILDER
1. You have to want to be bodybuilder for yourself. If you want to do it to impress others, you'll never make it. You'll lose motivation because what impresses people changes everyday.
2. You need to train like a powerlifter for atleast four years and pack on about 40 pounds of muscle before you can even think of bodybuilding exercises and techniques. Don't ask me about them until you've done this!
3. Build your routine around the major movements like squats, bench press, deadlifts, military press, cleans, snatches, barbell rows, chins, dips, and barbell curls.
4. The most common injury in bodybuilding is the lower back. You MUST strengthen your lower back through deadlifts, squats, and good mornings. You don't get back injuries from training it, you get them from not training it. Don't make this mistake. It could end your bodybuilding career.
5. Train no more than 4 days a week. If you train at maximum intensity, you won't be able to train more than 3 days a week. And intensity is what builds muscle.
6. Keep the weightlifting portion of your workouts to 60 minutes or less. Warm-up and stretching are not included in this time.
7. Do no more than 2 exercises per bodypart, 3 to 5 sets per exercise, and keep your reps between 4 and 6.
8. See me for specific programs. Stay on the program I give you for 12 weeks. Don't change it in any way. After the 12-week program, take a week off from the gym completely and then see me for a new program.
9. Rest and sleep as much as possible when you're out of the gym.
10. Don't read any bodybuilding magazines or buy bodybuilding books. Almost all of them are complete garbage and will give you very bad advice. Don't show me articles or routines from these magazines unless you really want to piss me off.
11. Eat a balanced diet and use a whey protein supplement and multivitamin. You don't need creatine, andro, DHEA or any of that other stuff. The only thing that makes you grow is training hard.
12. Don't use drugs. You'll never learn how to properly train.