female - need advice for fat, weight loss
like many others, I'm looking for the ideal plans to get in good shape. So much information that feel like I have to increase metabolism just to digest the articles and opinions :)
I will give as much info as I can cause from other posts I saw that the problem with getting answers was not enough info in the post.
- 28 yo
- 71 kg
- BF 31%
- wake-up around 7.30am, sleep early, 2130 or 2200
- work at home on computer (in bed) for about 3, 4 hours per day, some more hours
- have gym membership
- like swimming, stationary bike and weights / machines
- can afford any supplements, foods, saving money not important at all
- flexible as to what times of the day I work or eat or exercise
In the past 6 years I was successful a few times to lose some weight after swimming an hour every day, either in the morning or at night, or by running an hour a day (both together with cutting down on chocolate and trying to eat well). By doing this I could reach a weight of 65 kg where I would be more comfortable with my appearance and not suffer from much depression. This could be achieved in 6 - 8 weeks. I did this about 3 or 4 times in my life like this, but through stress, loss of motivational cause, went back to eating badly and not exercising and back to as much as 75kg at one stage while 71 is more normal.
It has been about 1.5 years since I last accomplished this (to reach 65kg and feel good and eat well). Since then, and in general in the last 3, 4 years I usually spend all day lying in bed, because I am so lucky to only need my laptop by my bedside to earn money. I would only get up for things like shopping, bathroom, some cleaning, some days I would not get up at all. I don't like sitting at a desk for that purpose, reminds me of office and working for someone else and I work too many hours per day and sometimes at night, so its easier to work in bed. I usually lie on my stomach and also take my food to bed while I read news on the laptop etc, I never found information on whether it's ver unhealthy to spend a day lying down as opposed to sitting at a desk, but I know that sitting at a desk many hours is bad for circulation in the legs, especially if you cross the legs, and also bad for the back if you can't sit straight and I usually don't.
I can imagine however that this would have slowed down my metabolism, but I have no way to measure this to know if it's correct.
Also food during that time would not be good food, mainly chocolate and water, occasionally pasta or eating out, sushi, thai. Few fruit and fewer vegetables.
I never eat very much during those times, especially don't eat dinner. I like to mix some plain cornflakes with rolled oats a little sugar and 1.5%-2% fat cold milk for breakfast. I also like to take a multi-vitamin tablet in water (Roche).
Right now I would like to again achieve the 65kg weight which also makes it easier to buy clothes or wear nice clothes, I feel better with 65kg and I am less depressed. I would like to eat healthier, maybe more healthy than ever and also do weights to not lose muscle, because I now read that it's important for long term fat loss to not lose muscle while on a diet.
I measure my BF % at the gym, its a machine where you put your arm inbetween two round things adjusted at a certain height, and I don't think 32% is great at all, the system tells me it's in the 'fair' range. So I look to reduce that a lot.
Since I started to work out a few days ago, I also use a meal replacement shake, I tried two products I both like, Myoplex Lite chocolate (with 2% fat milk and some water) and USN Diet Fuel Vanilla (with water and some 2% fat milk, supposed to be only water).
I also guessed I might need something extra to help start the metabolism (apart from the exercise), because I actually put on 1 - 2 kg in the first 3, 4 days of actually eating some normal food and exercising. So I purchased today USN Phedra Cut Stimmulant Free capsules, USN CLA capsules and some L-Glutamine powder to help the muscles. Also got some Omega 3 + 6 capsules, but then I noticed thats basically what CLA is.
Now I am just trying to figure out at what time of the day to do and eat what ideally and at what time to exercise!
From a USN diet plan for fat loss it seems like the CLA caps should be taken with the meals, the Phedra Cut somehow before and after workout, while I'm not sure if I should take them together with protein shakes or not.
I also aim to drink 3 litres of still water per day now, before oftentimes I would not even drink 1.5 litres.
As for excercise I read that weights should not be done every day, so I do them every second day with weights as high so I can just finish 2 - 3 sets of 11 - 12, to stimulate the muscles to grow (and eventually burn my fat day and night for me).
On these weight days I start with 15 min warmup cardio on bike at heart rate 154, I would sweat and be warm, then some quick streching, then the weights, all muscle groups, legs, abs, back, shoulders using machines mainly and for the arms free weights. Then another 15 mins cardio on bike as before.
On the other days I swim for about an hour (freestyle, sometimes some breaststroke for variety). Now I read it might be better to do only 30 minutes but as high intensity as possible, so that the body doesnt learn to become too efficient with burning fat, not sure since less time is less calories and I know I need to use more calories than I eat.
I can absolutely not do this in / out calculation because I don't know the amount of calories my body uses per day, I used several online calculators and the differences were huge (From 1317 to 1611). And I don't know how good my metabolism is anyway. Then I am not sure how much I burn while working lying in bed with my laptop, cause the guides only show computer work sitting. So if anyone has an idea how I could calculate this it would be nice.
As for food apart from supplements, I can see myself eating the following listed things, just not sure how much! and in what combination per day and at what times to make sure fat loss will happen!
So if I am lucky and anyone will work out some plan for me, then you can incorporate these things (and others of course):
- Rolled oats with some cornflakes and raisin musli mixed, tiny bit of sugar and low fat milk
- chicken breast fried in pan with bit of extra virgin olive oil
- cooked or steamed broccoli
- tuna (have to find the type in brine not oil I guess) on whole grain toast
- smoked salmon on whole grain toast
- cooked baby potatoes with skin (would die to add some satziki or garlic butter though)
- shaved chicken breast (processed I guess) on wholegrain toast
- asparagus (green) cooked
- brown rice (dont like that much and takes long to cook)
- strawberries with tiny bit of sugar
- granny smith apples
- bananas (like to mix with low fat milk in blender)
- sushi at sushi bar
- red curry chicken at thai restaurant with boiled white rice
- leek and potatoe soup with some whole grain toast
- brown pasta with some kind of tomato sauce
- 100% fruit juices no added sugar (such as apple, strawberry, carrot)
- low fat bulgarian plain yoghurt
Of course you can suggest other things ..
I do understand metric measurements only, but I can convert it online if I have to.
1) How many times a day should I use the protein meal replacements and at what times?
2) USN diet fuel vanilla is supposed to mixed only with water, can I add half of 2% fat milk instead for taste, consistency?
3) How do you grill your chicken breast? Can you do it in a non-stick pan, just by not using any oil? Is it ok to use some extra virgin olive oil?
4) Will my body go into starvation mode (stop using fat cells but deposit fat for worse times) at night just because I would not eat a real dinner and only use a meal replacement shake, because I don't like to eat dinner, I sleep so early.
5) Should I take the Omega 3 + 6 capsules in addition to the CLA ones, or would that be an overkill then?
6) After I did my 2 - 3 sets of reps for all muscle groups and I feel I have more time and energy, would it be bad to go through it a second time (for muscle damage, recovery, it might be bad, who knows?)
7) How many Phedra Cut caps would you say I should take to start with and at what times of the day (the ones without caffeine I bought cause I never drink coffee and wouldnt be used to it)
8) I am not sure exactly about carb intake pre workout, during and after, I did have a problem one day where I swam 1 hr in the morning and then I didnt eat much during the day, at night I did cardio for 20 mins, weight and cardio again for 20mins and started to feel very shaky for an hour, cold, probably that was low blood sugar, hypoglycemia, so maybe I need to make sure my blood sugar doesnt drop so much during exercise, I don't want it to happen again, I got quite dizzy)
9) How much of the foods to eat at what time of the day with which supplements in what quantities.
10) better one hour swimming or 30 mins at fastest pace possible?
11) Heart-rate of 154 during bike cardio ok for fat loss?
12) Need any other supplements?
13) Any supplements I shouldn't use?
Thank you for any comments! :)