1. You will have to have a Criminal Records Check (CRB) and maybe a Protection of Vunerable Adults Check (POVA) so obviously dont lie about anything.
don't worry, my record is as clean as anyones can be
2. If you have any experience, even if its just looking after a relative etc.. mention it.
good idea. i did mention that in my application form so maybe tha went in my favour
3. Most places will want you to be able to do everything, for example: personal care (bathing, dealing with incontinence etc.), General cleaning, How you get on with the clients, etc... So dont go in there and say theres bits you dont want to do.
lol, it's a good job i aint bothered by the site of naked old people. nah i'll do anything
4. Make them believe its something you really want to do without going over the top.
lol, but i do really want to do it. just gotta convince them.
5. Dress smart (I had people interviewing in jeans and tshirt which is a big NO)
hahaha, goin out today to get some new pants.
6. You may need to do a written set of questions as well as verbal (depending on the place) so be prepared for that.
7. A lot of it is common sense, for example, if asked how you would deal with someone being incontinent for the 1st time, dont say 'thats disgusting', say 'I would make them feel at ease, say its ok, clean up and report it to my supervisor'.
8. Stay calm in the interview, dont talk to much but get your point across, and dont go onto much about things like wages and holidays.
nah mate, i know's it's not about money, i mean yeah we need it, but i think they'll be more happy if i'm more concerned about looking after people
9. Say you can be flexible if needed. (theres so many people that dont do this)
10. Your willing to go on any courses needed, eg NVQ, First Aid, Food Hygene, General Hygene, Moving and Handling, etc..
11. When lifting a client always use the Hoist (if it is supposed to be used). Not using this when your supposed to can lead to disciplinary.
12. Take any certificates to the interview that might relate to the job.
hey mate cheers. some great advice you've given there.
lol, what do you mean by freaks and weirdos though?
post edited by sabbath - 2006/07/19 11:12:25